Delicious Basil Rice and Chicken Recipe (1 pot)
I love fresh basil and use it extensively in my recipes. Its rich flavor and distinct heavenly aroma are irresistible. The magic lies in a chemical composition that comprises of volatile fragrant molecules whose potential extends beyond culinary uses. In my observation, basil marries so well with meat that I chose to include chicken in what was originally an experimental basil rice recipe.
I use the term experimental because I first encountered this recipe at recipetineats and decided to give it a trial. Besides adding chicken, I made a few changes overall and to say the least, every bit of the final outcome was temptingly tasty.
There are many recipes for basil rice but the most common ones center on fried rice cuisines. A good example is Thai basil fried rice. The recipe used here is quite different but very tasty and satisfying. I prepared it in two stages to allow the chicken to cook well.
I used Kenyan indigenous chicken which is quite different from ordinary chicken both in terms of texture and taste. It is sweeter but requires more time to cook. I pre-cooked it in a pan but you can use an oven.
I used premium basmati rice. It is always my rice of choice when making these kind of recipes. Its firm texture prevents mushiness and stickiness that can be caused by stirring. Other varieties of long-grain rice can be used in place of basmati.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe like my family and I did. You might as well notice that it can make an excellent choice for parties and family gatherings. I also think it can make a good substitute for pilau rice, jollof and chicken mandi rice.
One Pot Basil Rice and Chicken Recipe
- Skillet pan
- Garlic mincer
- Frying Spoon
- Chicken Marinade ingredients
- 2 pounds chicken (cut into big pieces)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Basil Rice and Chicken Ingredients
- 1 large red onion
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1 small green chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix olive oil, minced garlic, black pepper, dried thyme,lemon juice and salt to prepare chicken marinade
- Remove chicken skins (optional) and transfer the chicken pieces into a mixing bowl. Pour the marinade on the chicken and spread well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Add oil into a cooking pan and brown the chicken on both sides in low heat. Take your time so that the chicken can be at least halfway cooked. You can also use an oven for this step.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pan and add onion. Stir until the onions begin to turn translucent and add garlic.
- Continue stirring for about a minute before adding half of the basil leaves. Stir until the basil is well cooked. Add tomato paste and paprika and continue stirring for 3 minutes or more.
- Add four cups of chicken broth and stir well. Let boil and add two cups pre-rinsed basmati rice. Spread it well in the pan and season with salt and chili pepper.
- Add the remaining basil and place the chicken pieces gently. Cover and let cook on low heat for about 20 minutes
- Once ready serve with vegetables or an accompaniment of your choice