Simple Fried Cabbage Recipe: A Quick and Tasty Side Dish
Throughout my culinary adventures, cabbage is the most delicate veggie that I have handled. Although rich in texture, its complex flavor can sometimes get ruined in the cooking process, or fail to build up in a way that delights taste buds.
For this reason, I am always extra careful when preparing my cabbages. I find this recipe to be one of my best because it provides a great balance between flavor and texture. It is also applicable to both frying and sauteing.
I always opt for the speedy frying method whenever I prepare cabbages in a hurry. Such are moments when I’m a bit late for lunch or dinner. Or when I have guests waiting to be served.
Sauteing comes in handy when the need to be meticulous arises, and I have all the time in the world to cook my cabbage in small bits. That’s when I allow them to brown to perfection, without getting overcooked.
In this fried cabbage recipe, I share the frying approach, but you can as well try the recipe with sautéing.
Fried Cabbage Recipe
- 1 Cooking pan
- 1 Cooking stick
- ½ medium-sized cabbage
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium-sized red onion
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Clean the cabbage, cut it into thin slices or shred it, and set aside.
- Peel onion, cut it into small sizes, and set aside.
- Place a cooking pan on medium heat and transfer the sliced onion into the pan.
- Add butter and cooking oil to the pan and start stirring continuously.
- Let the onions cook for 2 minutes and add black pepper.
- Stir and allow the onions to cook for two more minutes then add salt.
- Once the onions begin to turn brown, turn on high heat andadd cabbages. Add cabbages in bits while stirring until you add all the cabbage.
- Cook the cabbages on high heat for 2 minuts while stirring continuously.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste then remove from heat.